These pests are not noticeable in the same way as an ant or other insect. In addition, they are dangerous to health, since they feed on human skin and cause allergies. Here you will find everything you need to know.
Nessun dorma: it is one of the arias that any tenor sings with passion, but that could also be shouted by those who cannot get rid of the dust mites that nest in their mattresses. Sleep is essential for our health, and its quality also depends on hygiene. That’s why a good mattress should be soft and comfortable, but also perfectly clean. Unfortunately, mites are quite resistant, in part because they are invisible to the naked eye. As an old Chinese proverb says, when you know your enemy, victory is certain, so it’s helpful to know more about what exactly mites are.
Why do dust mites form?
Mites are nothing more than small arachnids, about a quarter of a millimeter in size. These pests are not noticeable in the same way as an ant or other insect. In addition, they are harmful to our health, since they feed on human skin and cause allergies. One of the main problems is that they cause respiratory problems, since they are associated with many dust intolerances. To eliminate them and prevent them from proliferating in the mattress, it is important to take precautions.
Tips for a clean mattress
The choice of mattress must be made very carefully. Therefore, it is preferable to opt for an anti-mite and breathable mattress, and tin or polyurethane pillows, to make life impossible for mites. With some good practices, you can prevent the proliferation of these parasites:
- Ventilate the room as much as possible when you wake up.
- Vacuum the mattress regularly
- Use removable mattresses and pillows for better washing.
- Take advantage of sunlight, which bothers mites.
- Do high temperature washes
Natural advice is always useful and valuable for small and large domestic problems. The same goes for the mattress and dust mites: there are different products available to successfully disinfect what constitutes the fundamental part of your bed. Are you curious to discover them? Here are the main ones:
- Baking soda: it should be present in every home because it helps solve many problems. Economical and ecological, baking soda has a very powerful disinfectant action capable of eliminating any harmful substance. It also helps prevent the formation of other mites by preventing their development. We advise you to cover the surface of the mattress and let the baking soda act for a few hours, then remove everything with a vacuum cleaner.
- Essential oils: you can also use oils made from tea tree, lavender and eucalyptus. Apply a few drops and then dry the mattress well to promote hygiene.
- Water and tea bags: with a spray bottle you can also use a solution of warm water and tea to achieve the same results in terms of mattress hygiene. After letting the tea bags sit, use the liquid to clean and then let them dry in sunlight for the best result.