This is why you absolutely must wet dried fruit before eating it

We often eat dried fruit, such as walnuts, almonds, pistachios or cashews, straight from the package. Few people know, however, that they could contain toxins that are dangerous to your health, and this is why some people suggest soaking it and washing it before eating it: is it really useful?×165&!2&btvi=1&fsb=1&dtd=824

Washing dried fruit is not a frequent habit, because we tend not to think about the accumulation of dust and dirt during the peeling and packaging process. Mycotoxins, a combination of fungi and toxins, can accumulate in the cracks that are so common on the irregular surface of dried fruit.

Some European food safety authorities have raised the alarm about toxic compounds present in cashews, walnuts, or dried fruit coming from tropical countries, after some studies that verified the presence of mycotoxins.

To combat this problem it is suggested to wash the dried fruit, proceeding as follows.

Soak them in a container full of water for about 8-12 hours. After this time they are rinsed and dried, if possible, in the sun or, alternatively, in an electric oven at minimum temperature. This allows us to clean them thoroughly, eliminating most of the fungi. It is advisable to eat them immediately, or keep them in the fridge for no more than 3 days.