PVC window sills are prone to unsightly yellowing over time. In this article, we explain in an understandable and detailed manner the causes of this phenomenon and provide you with effective solutions to remedy it, even for the most novice in DIY and household maintenance. Find out more!
Causes of yellowing of PVC window sills:
- Sun Exposure: One of the main causes of yellowing is prolonged exposure to the sun. Indeed, many manufacturers, to reduce costs, do not protect window sills with an anti-UV film, which makes the PVC vulnerable to UV rays.
- Humidity: Humidity, especially during cold periods when windows tend to fog up, also contributes to the degradation of the color of PVC.
- Quality of materials: The use of inferior PVC in the manufacture of window sills is also a common cause of yellowing.
- Improper maintenance: Using unsuitable cleaning products or insufficient maintenance can accelerate the yellowing process.
- Incorrect installation: Unprofessional installation, involving the use of substances harmful to PVC (such as certain types of polyurethane foam), can also be the cause.
Before installation, it is advisable to inquire with the seller about the quality of the PVC and the possible presence of an anti-UV protective film, as well as the recommended maintenance methods.
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Apply hydrogen peroxide with a sponge to the yellowed areas,
- Leave it to act for a few minutes,
- And finally, wipe with a damp cloth.
- Baking soda and vinegar
- Sprinkle baking soda on the windowsill,
- Then rub with a cloth soaked in vinegar. This chemical reaction allows for effective cleaning.
- Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes before wiping with a clean cloth.
- Powder stain remover based on active oxygen
- Dilute the active oxygen-based powder stain remover in water,
- Apply the solution to the edge,
- Leave to act for 15 to 30 minutes (depending on the degree of dirt),
- Then rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
The key to keeping PVC window sills white and shiny is understanding the causes of their discoloration and applying suitable cleaning methods. By preventing yellowing and adopting regular maintenance, it is possible to extend the lifespan and aesthetics of your windows.