Cleaning towels has never been easier and you don’t even need to use bleach. Come and find out how!
Towels are essential for body care. Every time we wash, whether it is our body, face or hands, they allow us to dry our skin. However, they can often become damaged due to improper washing or turn yellow over time. And this happens especially when the towels are white.
The stains are visible immediately but there are simple home and natural remedies that will allow you to eliminate them. All this without using bleach. Here’s how to make your towels look like new again.
Remedies to whiten white towels
There are various natural remedies that replace bleach and make towels white again. You need some ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen pantry and beyond. This is what you can use to whiten towels:
- Bicarbonate : It has whitening properties and is very effective. Simply put 4 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl of hot water and then soak the yellowed or stained towels. Let it soak for a few hours or overnight. Then proceed to wash either by hand or in the washing machine.
- Vinegar : this also has a strong degreasing and whitening action. Simply pour half a glass into a bowl of hot water and let the towels soak for a few hours or overnight. Then proceed with regular washing either by hand or in a washing machine. Vinegar will also help eliminate bad odors.
- Citric acid : more environmentally friendly than vinegar and even more effective. Simply dissolve 150 g of citric acid in 1 liter of warm water. Then pour approximately 100 ml of this mixture into the washing machine tub when you start washing the towels. Otherwise, if you want to proceed by hand, simply let the towels soak and then rinse them.
- Sodium percarbonate – This can be considered a relative of baking soda and the greener version of bleach. Simply dissolve it in water at high temperatures above at least 30°, so it is best to use it in the washing machine by inserting a measuring spoon into the detergent drawer. Alternatively, however, it is possible to boil the water so that it is very hot and then add 2 tablespoons of pre-soda to the container.
- Lemon – Simply cut two slices and pour them into 1 L of boiling water and then add the towels and let them soak for about 30 minutes before proceeding with the normal wash. If you prefer to wash in the washing machine, you can put a mixture of half a glass of lemon juice and half a glass of water in the detergent compartment.
- Hydrogen peroxide : Although this is not really a natural method, it works for whitening. Simply add a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to the washing machine and proceed to wash the towels. However, be careful to put only white clothes in the washing machine and to use hydrogen peroxide at a low volume.
However, the advice is to always read the clothing labels and follow the instructions. Often, some clothes should be washed by hand and avoided in the washing machine. All you have to do is try one of these tricks to make your towels white again.