There is no difference between a dull knife and a defective knife. To slice your vegetables and fruits or cut meat, a sharp knife is necessary. Whatever the type of knife, you should remember to sharpen it from time to time so that the edge at the end of the sharpener is up to the task of your favorite dishes. That said, there is an easy and smart way to give your blade a facelift and give you a good cooking experience! Find out in this article when and how you should sharpen your knife and what ingredient you need…
An iconic chef will never accept a dull kitchen knife on his work surface…Why would you tolerate it? You simply need to have the reflex of a small, easy and quick sharpening gesture without resorting to electric sharpeners. That said, the tip that we are going to present to you in this article promises you the effectiveness of an ingredient that you all have at home. Do you wish your knives could slice like new? Let’s go ahead and discover our sharpening tip at home!
How to sharpen a kitchen knife that doesn’t cut well?
In the kitchen, there’s nothing more annoying than dull knives that slide across the board without cutting much. No matter how fast you make them over and over again, they will only make small dents in your food. How to overcome this kitchen inconvenience? It’s simple, gather all your knives and follow our simple and effective sharpening tips. Let’s go, let’s go!
What is the difference between sharpening and honing a knife blade?
Sharpen or sharpen? The two processes are similar but still remain slightly different. If sharpening gives an impeccable razor effect to the blade, sharpening, for its part, allows part of the material to be removed from the blade to obtain a new , sharper and sharper edge. One thing is certain: the knives need to be maintained jointly by both operations!
Use toothpaste to sharpen your knives perfectly at home
If your knife is no longer able to easily cut a paper towel or the tender flesh of a tomato , it means it needs to be sharpened by you! Don’t panic, we have thought of you with an effective tip that does not compromise your safety when cooking or polishing it. This is toothpaste we’re talking about! And yes, there are all-purpose ingredients that prove themselves well in distinct areas. Curious to know how this technique works? First equip yourself with the following tools:
- You will obviously need the dull knife you want to sharpen;
- Any toothpaste;
- A paper towel ;
- A porcelain bowl or plate that has an abrasive base;
- Salt and white vinegar;
- A dish brush.
Now that your ingredients are well prepared, we invite you to follow the steps of the following method:
- On both sides of your clean knife, spread a dab of toothpaste ;
- Then, rub the blade with the toothpaste paste using the paper towel. Be careful with your hand though, we don’t want you to get hurt.
- At the same time, turn your bowl upside down by sprinkling a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of white vinegar on its rim . This mixture will create a chemical reaction which will make the operation of sharpening your blade more efficient;
- File your knife edge in one direction at a sharpening angle of 20 degrees . Caution: don’t make unnecessary trips back and forth. Repeat the same operation on the other side to sharpen both sides of the blade;
- And there you have it, the sharpening operation is almost finished! Rinse your knife in clean water using a dishwashing brush. This way you extend the life of your favorite knives and save time and efficiency in the kitchen. Who says better ?
Please note that each ingredient contributes to the success of this method, which is why it is recommended to follow it to the letter to obtain a perfect result and an impeccable sharpness!