THE CASTELLA SPONGE CAKE RECIPE has a finer and more compact consistency than traditional SPONGE CAKE , while remaining lighter than sponge cake or butter. This castella is ideal to serve during afternoon tea or as a dessert. To obtain a smooth surface, the most important thing is the firing temperature. To get the perfect texture, cook it at a very low temperature (around 150°C) for an hour and also use a double boiler which helps the cake cook gently, almost like steam.
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks
85 grams of sugar
80 ml of vegetable oil
90 g of cake/sponge flour
70 ml of milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Beat the egg whites until frothy, then add the sugar. Continue beating until peak forms again.
2. Heat the oil in a microwave for 90 seconds on full power, or you can heat the oil on the stove for one minute. Add the flour and salt, mix well. Add egg yolks and milk, mix until smooth.
3. Gradually add the meringue into the batter, fold it gently.
4. Pour the mixture into a lined tin, bang the tin a few times to release any air bubbles.
5. Place the cake pan in a larger baking dish, then pour hot water over it to create a water bath.
6. Place in a preheated oven at 150°C, cook for about an hour or until completely cooked.
7. Once cooked, bang the cake pan a couple of times, this can prevent the cake from shrinking. Let it cool completely then slice it.
8. Have fun.