The leaves of this typically Mediterranean plant are rich in properties and uses.
It is used in cooking to give flavor to meats but it also has notable healthy properties : it is the bay leaf, a plant from the Lauraceae family that is widespread in the Mediterranean. In fact, the Greeks and Romans considered this plant sacred to Apollo, father of Aesculapius, god of medicine, and used its branches to crown poets and rulers, a symbol of wisdom and glory. Even today, graduating students are crowned with laurels on their foreheads, like poets and leaders.
Bay leaves contain many active ingredients :
- Eugenol and limonene with antiseptic, antioxidant and digestive properties.
- Mineral salts: potassium, copper, calcium, manganese, iron, selenium, zinc and magnesium.
- vitamins: folic acid, provitamin A, beneficial for the health of eyes, skin and mucous membranes, and group B vitamins, useful for the nervous system, skin and metabolism.
- vitamin C, powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and natural disinfectant, capable of stimulating the immune system and combating inflammation and cellular degeneration
- Expectorant and diaphoretic properties, useful in cases of fever, flu-like conditions and respiratory tract congestion. It stimulates perspiration and promotes the expulsion of bronchial mucus.
Additionally, burning a bay leaf at home can have many benefits.
- Helps breathe . An infusion of bay leaves helps eliminate mucus and phlegm from the respiratory tract.
- It relieves inflammation and strengthens the immune system thanks to the presence of eugenol, which also has antioxidant properties.
- Helps prevent diabetes . Consuming 1 to 3 grams of bay leaves daily helps regulate blood sugar levels. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Mental preparation . If burned, bay leaves have a calming effect, but they are a remedy for fatigue because they contain cineol and elemicin.
- Against anxiety . The chemical compounds present in its leaves, if inhaled, calm the body and mind. The linalool they contain reduces anxiety and stress.